Subtitles and Captions to All Videos
”Very friendly, good and fast service!”
Subtitles for Following Projects
Subtitles and captions are becoming increasingly more common due to the use of mobile devices. Subtitles and captions enable viewing of videos and recordings irrespective of physical location, such as in open plan offices and in public transport.
Films and series
Vlogs and podcasts
Content of Our Subtitle and Caption Services
We create subtitles and caption for videos in Finnish, English, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German, Dutch, Russian, and Estonian. Subtitles or caption are written either in the same language as the video or translated into another.
Length of the Video
We provide subtitles and captions to projects in all shapes and sizes. A single video can be anything from a few minutes to several hours in length.
Our pricing includes accurate and specific prices for your projects. The pricing of the subtitling service is based on the length and language spoken on the video.
Our clients include video production companies, cities, and municipalities. We serve our customers in Finland, Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, and Germany with the help of our 300+ personnel.
Example subtitles and captions
The material must be a video file in a downloadable format. We are prepared to accept several different file formats.
We deliver completed subtitle or caption files in an SRT (.srt), WebVTT (.vtt), or MP4 (.mp4) formats:
- SRT is one of the most common formats
- VTT is the best suited format for services such as YouTube due to flexible text formatting
- the MP4 format (‘hardcoded subtitles’) is used when utilising a separate subtitle file is not possible
“I will definitely continue sending my files to Spoken. Great service. Fast delivery and great support.”
– Client, public organization
Options for Subtitles and Captions
The contents of subtitles and captions are often impacted by target audience. In social media videos, subtitles and captions are, in general, standard subtitles or captions written in the same language as the spoken material, while subtitles and captions for public organisations are often accessible and in same language. However, marketing videos often require standard translated or same language subtitles and/or captions.
Therefore, as you place your order for subtitles, you have a few decisions to make:
Selecting the correct subtitle/caption language depends on how the language spoken in the video fits the target audience.
- The speech is subtitled in the same language that is spoken in the video
- For example, a video in English is subtitled in English
- Accessible subtitles are usually done in the language of the video
- The spoken material will be written out in a different language, i.e., the speech will be translated into another language
- For example, an English-speaking video receives subtitles in Finnish
The most common subtitle type is so-called standard subtitling, in addition to which there also are more comprehensive subtitles that adhere to accessibility requirements.
Standard Subtitles and Captions
- The most common form of subtitles
- Speech and dialogue are subtitled/captioned
- Other sounds and soundscape elements are left out
- In addition to dialogue, the soundscape, such as background noises, will also be written out (such as [dog barking])
- Meets the requirements of the Web Accessibility Directive and the Act on the Provision of Digital Services
- This type is also known as ’descriptive subtitles’
Spoken material can be subtitled/captioned in either formal or colloquial style. The officiality and target audience of the video impact the style choice.
Captions and Subtitles with Standard Language
- Generally used in official subtitles and captions, such as training and marketing videos
- Subtitling language will be altered into a literary form regardless of the speaker’s accent or dialect (for example ‘I am happy!’)
Captions and Subtitles with Colloquial Language
- Generally used in so-called unofficial subtitles and captions (such as TV shows)
- Subtitles and captions follow the speaker’s accent and dialect (for example ‘Me is so happy!)
Our Satisfied Customers
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
We have ordered subtitles from Spoken for a few years now. The cooperation has been functional. Ordering subtitles through the portal has proven to be effortless and the ready-made files have reached us very quickly.
Chief Executive Officer
Nordic Diversity Trainers Oy
We are very happy with the prompt and professional service provided by Spoken. Its a crucial element in our multi-lingual work environment and working with a linguistically diverse team. With the services of Spoken, for the past three years we have always been able to easily match all deadlines and to satisfy our clients demands. We can't do else than to highly recommend Spoken for all your language needs.
The accuracy level of transcription has always been just right; time coding next to the text makes it easier to find the right place on the editing table, and the price is at least reasonable. A service that saves time and money.
University of Helsinki
I have been really pleased that individual interview files can be delivered to Spoken as the research progresses and then transcribed at the same time. Even though we have chosen a normal delivery time (no express delivery), the service has still been fast and often the transcribed file has been waiting in the mail already a day after submitting it. I also like that if the transcriber has been unsure about a certain expression, it has been noted in the file and also the time, so I have been able to check the point and correct it if necessary.